DND Flyway grew out of a need to bridge the growing population of Delhi with its neighbours across the Yamuna.
Today, a major portion of Delhi's population lives in the Trans-Yamuna area and there was a need to build a major connecting facility between the areas growing on both sides of the Yamuna. The project has been supported by Indian and international engineers, contractors, operators and investors.
The Flyway, an outcome of innovative technical and financial engineering, has been built with due care for environmental concerns. The Citizens Committee was formed to oversee the requisite environmental safeguards during construction - a feature pointed out by the World Bank as being the first of its kind in the world.
The project was commissioned on February 7, 2001, almost 4 months ahead of schedule and broadly within the budget.
Salient features of DND Flyway
- 8 LANE DUAL CARRIAGEWAY CONNECTING NOIDA SECTOR 15A WITH RING ROAD NEAR MAHARANI BAGH.
- 6 KM LINK WITH 552 METRE LONG MAIN BRIDGE ACROSS RIVER YAMUNA and 3 MINOR BRIDGES.
- 8 LANE APPROACH ROAD ON EMBANKMENT.
- GRADE SEPARATED INTERCHANGES AT NOIDA AND DELHI END WITH CLOVERLEAF AT NOIDA SIDE AND A TRUMPET ON DELHI SIDE.
- 32 LANE 200M WIDE FULLY COMPUTERISED TOLL PLAZA.
- FLYOVER AT ASHRAM CROSSING.
- EXTENSIVE TREE PLANTING AND LANDSCAPING.
- NOISE BARRIERS.
- RIVER TRAINING WORKS.
- SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON SOCIAL, ECOLOGICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES.
- MODERN TREND IN DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION.